One easy tip that I usually forget, but it's really, really worth it: when you're at the store and the frozen vegetables are on sale, just grab a few bags--even if they stay in the freezer for months, you'll find a use for them! Yesterday, I successfully emptied my freezer of all of the veggies (plus some fresh ones) for this soup, and it worked. It's healthy, it's cheap, and it's really easy!
Kathleen's Phenomenal Veggie Extravaganza-Soup:

-teaspoon - tablespoon of good oil
-small onion, diced small
-15oz tomato sauce
-15oz water
-1 to 1 1/2 C of Beef or Vegetable Broth
-4 Medium Red Potatoes; washed & chopped small
-1 small can of corn
-1 bag frozen green beans
-1 bag frozen peas
-1 can kidney beans (or beans of your choosing)
-Either 1 can of diced tomatoes or 1 medium tomato, chopped
-2C carrots, diced small (They sell combo peas/diced carrots in frozen section!)
-1 clove garlic, smashed slightly
-2 tablespoons of 2 of your favorite spices (Oregano works beautifully)
Instructions: heat oil in large pot over medium heat; add onions & cook them in oil until translucent (2-4mins). Add tomato sauce, water, and broth. Add the rest of the vegetables/flavorings. Stir & reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes depending; the soup should be slightly bubbly by the end. Turn off heat and enjoy!
This soup was so delicious & satisfying--I was full after one bowl!
My goal of trying one recipe/new food a week is working. How about you?
I hope I do well on this paper--I'm putting off my final edit--it's due tomorrow (yikes) !
Have you heard about the new Country Shrimp n' Scratch-Made Grits at Cracker Barrel? I'd love to see you try their recipe for your blog.
ReplyDeleteWell, it is tender shrimp lightly simmered in a buttery sauce with green onions and bacon. It is served on top of homemade grits made with Colby cheese. For a side you should have seasoned vegetable medley, plus a grilled, scratch-made corn muffin.